DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH (UNDER GRADUATE)
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT: 1955
|ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED BY
|§ Theatre workshop for students
§ U.G.C. sponsored State level Seminar in collaboration with the Department of English, Prafulla Chandra College in August 2014
§ U.G.C. sponsored State level Seminar in collaboration with the Department of Journalism, Shri Shikshayatan College and Muralidhar Girls’ College in September 2015
§ Collaboration with leading English dailies and publishing houses for apprenticeship of
students in the industry
|Category||Eligibility Criteria For Form Fill Up||Additional Criteria|
|General||(Minimum aggregate 50% AND 50% in English) OR (55% in English if aggregate below 50% but more than 45%)||–|
|SC/ST/OBC-A/OBC-B||Candidates belonging to the SC, ST, OBC-A & OBC-B communities should obtain a minimum of 40% marks in the aggregate OR 40% marks in the subject or related subjects. SC, ST & OBC communities recognised by Govt. of West Bengal are only eligible for the exemption mentioned above .||–|
|Index Marks Calculation for Merit List||(Aggregate + English (1st or 2nd Language))/2|
|ENGLISH AS ELECTIVE:|
|ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA :||50% and above in the subject.|
|ENGLISH AND ONE MODERN INDIAN LANGUAGE (MIL) ARE COMPULSORY. HINDI / BENGALI / URDU ARE OFFERED AS MODERN INDIAN LANGUAGES. STUDENTS ARE TO CHOOSE THE HONOURS SUBJECTS AND TWO ELECTIVE SUBJECTS TAKING ONE SUBJECT ONLY FROM A GROUP. MUSIC MAY BE OPTED AS A NON-TAUGHT SUBJECT.|
|Political Science / Education||History||Philosophy / Sociology / Geography / Hindi|
|Political Science / Education||JMC||Sociology / Hindi|
|Bengali||History||Philosophy / Sociology/ Geography|
Events & Workshops
- Theatre Workshop was organized by Department of English on 28th August 2015. The session was conducted by Shri Kaushik Sen , a film and theatre actor .
- An Inter College Debate on ‘New Media Empowers Women’ was organized by Department of English, Shri Shikshayatan College on 09.09.15. The judges were Ms. Samhita Chakraborty, Journalist, The Telegraph, Shri Vijay Upadhyay, Head of Institute of Entrance Examinations and Shri Arijit Sen, Debater. The students who participated from various colleges of Kolkata were Shri Shikshayatan College, University of Calcutta, Jadavpur University, Loreto College, J.D. Birla Institute of Management and Scottish Church College.
- A Special lecture was organized for students of Department of English on 22.09.15. Dr. Sinjini Bandyopadhyay, Department of English, University of Calcutta delivered a lecture on ‘Colonialism/Post – Colonialism: The Indian Context’.
- Special Lecture was organized by Department of English on 19.02.16. Professor Ashok Sengupta, University of Kalyani delivered a lecture on Adapting Shakespeare in film: Macbeth and the problems of textuality.
- Special Lecture was organized by Department of English (Post Graduate) on 22.02.16. Dr. Geraldine Forbes, Distinguished Teaching Professor Emertia, Department of History, State University of New York Oswego delivered a lecture on ‘Second Wave Feminism: In Its Time and Its Contemporary Relevance’.