Program and course outcomes
Department of Commerce (UG), Evening
- The Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) course of the Evening Section follows the course structure of the University of Calcutta as per the recent CBCS model, which aims to equip students with rudimentary concepts of business-trade-industry and at the same time helps them stay up-to-date with the recent developments of the business environment.
- The Evening section offers students in the fifth semester two sets of specialization- Accounting & Finance and Marketing, to choose from, as per University of Calcutta syllabus. This enables students to opt for subjects which suit their preferences and aptitude.
- The present CBCS syllabus enables students to develop practical skills with respect to Computerised Accounting, Application of IT in Business, E-filing of taxes, to help them undertake internships and improve their job prospects as freshers.
- The course also requires the students to prepare a project report in their final semester with a view to develop analytical and research mind-set among them, and develop skills to pursue higher studies in research
- The Course provides a number of opportunities to students for pursuing higher studies in Commerce and different disciplines under Management, viz. Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, E-Commerce etc.
- This programme also encourages students inclined towards entrepreneurship to be associated with the Institute’s E-Cell and pursue the Entrepreneurship courses conducted in association with National Entrepreneurship Network, Wadhwani Foundation which in turn instills a sense of self-reliance in them.
Department of Commerce (UG), Morning
B.Com. (Honours) in Accounting and Finance is one of the most sought after career-oriented academic programmes offered at the graduation level as it opens up innumerable career options and opportunities for the aspiring professionals and entrepreneurs in terms of employment as well as pursuance of specialized professional courses such as Chartered Accountancy, Company Secretaryship, Cost Accountancy, M.B.A., C.F.A., and many more.
This programme is intended to enhance employability and encourage self-employment by making the students learn skills of interpreting and preparing books of accounts, be conversant with financial and economic environment and acquire the management skills. The curriculum is designed to impart and develop oral and written communication skills, knowledge on Information Technology and statistical tools as well as orient the students on legalities relating to business. The Programme also aims to develop and inculcate entrepreneurial skills among the students. In short, this course helps the enrolled students to become more competitive, self- reliant and constructive for self and society’s benefit.
Above all, offering this Programme in the morning hours makes it a more coveted one as it allows the students to pursue in addition, various other professional courses/trainings/internship of their own interest.
Department of B.B.A.
- Acquire specialized knowledge, skills and competencies in the field of management.
- Apply the entrepreneurial and managerial skills for effective management of business.
- Acquire employability skills and equip students to work in a corporate environment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in understanding managerial issues and problems related to global economy and international business scenario.
- To inculcate leadership qualities and gain acumen in understanding of real edge management problems through internships.
- Develop prudent decision-making skills through application of managerial knowledge.
Department of Bengali
- Higher Studies (Such as M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.)
- Teaching Profession (Schools & Colleges)
- Translation work
- Content writing & Script Writing
- Work at Publishing House ( such as Editing, Proof Reading)
- Work at Media House (print & Television)
- Competitive Exam- such as W.B.C.S, IAS
Department of Botany
- Students pursuing the course are eligible for PG course in Botany, Genetics, Environmental Science, Biochemistry, and Forestry etc.
- Students can appear for Forest Service entrance exams
- They are oriented for joining different Environment and Nature based Govt. and NGO ecofriendly projects.
- They can pursue academic research in esteemed institutes and contribute to the wellbeing and advancement of society
- Students can pursue teaching profession in school, college and university
- Students can pursue professional course like MBA etc.
- Students are eligible for administrative services (State and Central)
Department of Chemistry
After pursuing BSc. Chemistry Honours students should be able to
- Form a strong foundation in different branches of Chemistry including Organic, Inorganic, Physical and Analytical chemistry with stress on Fundamental Concepts.
- Form an aptitude for scientific reasoning and analytical problem solving by associating theoretical knowledge with practical scenarios.
- Develop knowledge about basic experimental techniques and instrumentation used in practical chemical analysis.
- Develop laboratory skills about safely and correctly handling chemicals.
- Acquire skills to understand and interpret basic chemical literature.
- Pursue Post graduate studies and Research in various branches of chemistry.
- Develop knowledge about the interdisciplinary nature of chemistry as a subject for pursuing post-graduation and research in associated areas like Biotechnology, Forensic chemistry , Genetics, Environmental sciences, Molecular Biology etc.
- Develop communication skills for representing scientific information in written and oral forms through interactive practices like student presentations, seminars and writing magazine articles (departmental journal).
- Develop leadership skills and the ability to work in groups through group projects and presentations.
- Pursue professional courses like MBA or pursue careers in Teaching in schools, Civil services, Banking, Forest services etc. (The department holds a career counseling session for every batch to acquaint them with such options).
Department of Computer Science
- After completion of B.Sc. ( with Computer Science as general subject), students may take admission in Computer Hardware and Networking Related courses, Machine Learning, Web development related Courses, Data Science courses in various reputed Computer Training Institutions under any State, Private or Central Universities and also in some IITs.
- Students of Mathematics with Computer Science as one of their general subjects will get privilege in getting selected in MCA course in various Universities and Engineering Colleges and they can also do MSc courses in Computer Science under different Universities or Postgraduate Colleges and MBA courses.
- Students having combination of Computer Science along with Mathematics and Physics can definitely go for higher studies and also can appear for GATE, NET, SET, CAT, MAT exam.
- Students will also found themselves suitable for IT sector jobs, banking sector jobs and different sectors in government jobs.
- Students having combination of Physics or Electronics and Computer Science along with Mathematics can also apply for lateral entry for B.E or B. Tech. courses.
Department of Economics
- Pursue higher studies in Economics – post graduation, B.Ed., M.Phil., PhD from premiere institutes in India and abroad.
- Pursue a career in teaching in Schools and Colleges
- Pursue academic research
- Pursue MBA from premiere management institutes in India.
- Pursue professional courses in Actuarial Science and Chartered Accountancy
- Job opportunities in the Banking sector and Administrative Services
- Work as Economic analysts in renowned organizations
- Entrepreneurial ventures in various fields
Department of Education
- On successful completion of the undergraduate programme in Education, students will be able to apply for Teacher Training programmes as a large component of Teacher Education studies is covered in the syllabus. Students can also opt for Masters in Education, Masters in Social Work, Masters in Counselling, even Masters in Psychology. Job prospects in the Education sector open up after graduating with Education Honours.
Department of English
- The recently introduced CBCS syllabus by Calcutta University has given primacy to interdisciplinarity so that emphasis is not only on English language and literature but also on world literature, from Classical to Contemporary. The course is inclusive and holistic, enhancing ability, skill apart from their core discipline. New additions like literary theory, autobiography, partition literature, popular literature, text & performance (to name a few) have broadened the scope for better career in higher studies. Skill enhancement in business communication, academic writing, ELT shall endorse their writing and communication proficiency, a requirement in all stages of life. Interested students might pursue in higher studies in their preferred area, while others might opt for jobs with honed communication abilities.
Department of Geography
- The syllabus under CBCS curriculum emphasizes on the development of basic skills in different aspects of the subject. The successful completion of the course gives the students opportunities to pursue the Masters Degree in not only the core subject but also in subjects like Geographical Information System (GIS), Social Work, Disaster Management, Forest Management, Environmental Management, Environmental Planning, Regional Planning, Urban Planning, Forest Management, Population Studies, Tourism and Travel Management.
- The students can pursue academic research work in different renowned institutions and contribute to the advancement of the society. They can opt for teaching at schools, colleges and universities after their higher studies. In the field of administration, the jobs may be taken through Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), All India Central Services, State Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission and Block Development Offices. Many students secure employment as a GIS Specialist, Meteorologist, Geomorphologist, Demographer, Regional and Urban Planner, Soil Conservationist, Travel and Tourism Planner and Advisor, Hydrologist, Cartographer etc.in different government and private organizations.
Department of Hindi
- Career options/Scope in Hindi Literature
- Government Jobs
- School Teacher
- Content Writing/ Editing
- Speech Writing
- Voice Associate
- App Developer
- News Anchoring
- Film Industry
- Digital Media and Social Media
- Foreign Jobs and much more
Inspite of all of these job opportunities in study of literature, it also enhances values and growth in and of a person. The person becomes a boon for his/her family as well as for the society.
Department of History
- The current CBCS syllabus with its multi-disciplinary and holistic approach towards education offers students the opportunity to hone their skills and develop competencies not only in their areas of specialisation but also in other disciplines according to their aptitude. Thus a student with a degree in History can develop skills that are applicable to a wide range of careers such as law, publishing, journalism and the media, librarianship and archival work, advertising, tourism, heritage study, public administration, etc. Graduates in History can also work as museum curators, archaeologists, civil servants and teachers. In addition to using their training for such broader professional purposes, students of History can pursue higher studies and become academicians, historians and history experts. Studying History provides students with the analytical skills to critically assess the past and find connections with the events and ideas of the present – thereby allowing them to envision a better future.
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
The under graduate course of journalism and mass communication Prepares students for :-
- different post graduate degrees and diplomas in media related subjects for higher studies.
- school teaching job because now journalism is a school subject.
- to start their career as a junior reporter.
- can become content developer and content writer.
- may delve into short film making.
- Can also venture in the event management business.
Department of Mathematics
- Students will be able to do higher studies in Mathematics.
- The curiosity in Mathematics will be generated.
- Better reasoning ability will grow in them.
- Mathematics may be their career option.
- The fear over Mathematics will go away.
- Students may do masters in pure or applied mathematics, Data Science, M.C.A, M.B.A,
B. Stat. They can pursue a career in Data Analysis .They can do PG Certification in Machine Learning and Deep Learning. They can pursue a career in Information and Communication Technology Industry. They can pursue a career in Actuarial Sciences. A career in Investment Banking can be pursued after B.Sc. in Mathematics. They can build career as Operations Research Analyst. Students with excellent mathematical abilities may join political or military intelligence bodies as cryptoanalyst. They can also opt for career in Teaching after B.Sc. in Mathematics.
Department of Philosophy
An independent Philosophy Program is vital. Skills gained by studying Philosophy are useful in almost any career or venue of life. The discipline of Philosophy contributes to higher education fundamentally by
- Developing the habit of critical thinking in students. Philosophy contributes distinctively and extensively to a student’s ability to think critically. In the prominent pedagogical model in higher academia of active rather than passive learning, Philosophy teaches students to become active and independent inquirers, to think independently thereby promoting individuation.
- Enhancing the reading, writing and public speaking skills in students. Philosophy Courses teach students how to read, comprehend and summarize conceptually difficult material. Philosophy shows how to formulate, articulate and defend one’s own views with arguments and logical organization. Such skills will serve a student both within and outside academics.
- Transmitting cultural heritage to the students. Philosophy Courses on Indian Philosophy make students aware of our rich intellectual heritage.
- Philosophy helps students to develop abstract reasoning skills to engage in fundamental questions about reality, knowledge and value.
- Philosophy Courses in Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy, Bioethics, Environmental Ethics prepare students to be thoughtful, discriminating and responsible citizens, recognizing and respecting the views of others.
Department of Physics
After persuing B.Sc. – Gen. with physics as combination students will be able to:
- They have an option to pursue a post-graduation degree in their respective field. Students can also join non-science master degree courses such as animation, management, computer technology.
- They can apply as scientific assistant in different research institute.
- Apply for the govt. jobs like finger print Expert , Inspector r of legal metrology, scientific assistant, Food & Drug Inspector, where physics as a subject combination in graduation is compulsory
- Opt for further job based study like MCA, MACHINE LEARNING, and DATA SCIENCE etc.
Department of Political Science
- Masters and Research in Political Science and Allied Disciplines. (International Relations , Human Rights, Sociology , Public Policy , Journalism and Mass Communications)
- Career in Teaching, Consultancy and Analysis, Content Writing, Editing and Publishing.
- Opportunity in Administrative Services, Judicial Services and Management.
Department of Sociology
The students of Sociology can pursue the following career options after completion of the graduate programme:
- Post-graduation in Sociology and higher academics like research
- Post-graduation/Diploma in Social Work
- Professional courses like Journalism and Mass Communication and Human Resource Development
- Civil Services
- B.Ed. and school teaching thereafter
- Teaching in colleges
Department of Statistics
- After completion of B.Sc. (with Statistics as general subject), students may take admission in Data Science courses in various reputed Universities and also IITs. Presently Data Science has huge scope and career options.
- Students will also found themselves suitable for Analytics jobs.
- They will also find themselves suitable for banking sector jobs and other government jobs.
- Students having combination of Physics and Statistics along with Mathematics can also apply for Atmospheric Sciences.
- Students of Economics with Statistics as one of their general subjects will also get privilege in getting selected in MS (QE) course of Indian Statistical Institute.
- Since Actuarial Studies also involve some portions of Statistics, having Statistics in the combination will be helpful in clearing those papers.
- Those who are passionate about teaching or Research, can definitely go for higher studies in Statistics and appear for NET, SET or GATE.
Department of Urdu
- Urdu, undoubtedly the most exquisite of languages, is spoken by over 100 million people across the world. There is no denying the fact that even people who don’t understand Urdu love the enunciation and sweetness of the language. The aforementioned reason makes it another important language to learn. Since we are living in a career- specific world where job opportunities are weighed before selecting a subject, Urdu offers plenty of job options for its learners. To begin with, if a student is well-versed in the language he can opt for being a teacher in a school by qualifying in the exams meant for selection of teachers.
- Likewise he can also go for lectureship in colleges and universities after qualifying in the Net and Set. Apart from a career in teaching a student of Urdu can also apply fot the posts of translators in several government departments.
- Aside from a career perspective knowing Urdu will allow a student to have a peek into the fascinating and mystic world of classic as well as modern literature of India and Pakistan. He will have the cushion and luxury of reading and enjoying the poetry and fiction of Ghalib, Faiz, Krishan Chander and Bedi to name a few.
Department of Zoology
- Higher studies and Research
- Forest Services
- Zoological Garden
- Veterinary Science
- Clinical technicians
Department of P.G. English
- Proficiency in written and spoken English. This is the basic requirement for subsequent career options.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the discipline through texts written in and translated into English. A fair overview of comparative literary studies. Students are well- equipped to make the transition to B.Ed. courses.
- An understanding of sophisticated theoretical concepts. Crucial for those embarking on teaching careers at either school or college level.
- An insight into and experience of contemporary research methodologies. Particularly relevant for those students who intend to pursue higher degrees by research.
- Internships during the course to help students gain valuable insights about a particular profession, allowing them to make informed career choices.
- The discipline and good practices for achieving success in examinations. This aids preparation for competitive exams after the course, like the UGC NET and the civil service exams.
- Advanced editing and linguistic skills for those students interested in working in the publishing industry and the many digital platforms available now.
- An ethos of teamwork inculcated through numerous group projects throughout the course. This is beneficial when students go on to contribute to a corporate setup.
- Development of critical acumen through intellectual application. This makes students informed and aware individuals in their workplace and in everyday life.
- Nurturing an independent creative outlook. This allows students to make a mark and establish their identity in whatever they choose to do after the completion of the course.
Department of P.G. Commerce
- Post-graduation in Commerce opens windows to research programs that will further help students to pursue M.Phil. and Doctoral Degree (PhD) in future. The CBCS curriculum designed by the University of Calcutta has included research methodology and statistical applications in its syllabus, enabling the students to go for Higher Studies and Doctoral programs. The department organizes workshops on Research Methodology and Statistical Package (SPSS). Students are encouraged to publish research articles in Departmental and College Journals.
- The program is most popular among aspiring teachers/lecturers and researchers. Students are encouraged to sit for UGC NET/ JRF and the department organizes workshops on preparation for UGC NET/JRF examination.
- The program covers all major areas relating to Finance, Accounting, Taxation, Information Technology and Statistics besides allied fields such as economics, operation research, and corporate governance. international business etc. This helps the students who wish to make a career in banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI).
- The objective of this program is to provide multidisciplinary knowledge. This is the only college, affiliated to University of Calcutta that offers Marketing specialization along with Finance and Accounting. It opens the door to become part of the business world of corporate, banks, capital market, marketing research, logistics support and to become self-reliant.
Department of Professional Courses
Department of B.Ed.
When students take admission in the B.Ed. course, they come to our department as learners, who are teachers in the making. However they leave the course as professionals.
- Initially receivers of knowledge and skills, they become transformed into facilitators.
- Their training in the department makes competent classroom managers.
- Through their multidimensional experiences student teachers undergo attitudinal reorientation in preparation for handling student diversity.
Student teachers become capable of handling the dynamics of inclusive classrooms. They are sensitized on gender issues.
Cognitive, psychomotor and affective domain competencies are given equal place in the curriculum for aiding the development of integrated personalities, through a wide range of experiences under practicum and community assignments.
- Life skill training, aesthetic appreciation, physical wellbeing through yoga and exposure to global citizenship are an essential part of every student’s activity in the department.
- There is compulsory participation in community outreach activities.
- Cooperative task management develops competencies that makes them capable of creating enabling environments in classrooms, for young minds to flourish into citizens confident of creating a sustainable future.